7.18.2009

Ready to go

Well, in just a few weeks, I will depart for my year-long adventure that will take me (in order) to Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Italy, Morocco, and hopefully Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey.

I will be spending my fall semester in Copenhagen, and (if all goes according to plan) my spring semester in Berlin.

I am at a point now where I am between feeling unavoidably high expectations and total bewilderment. While I have spent quite a bit of time in Europe in the last few years, I have never really lived there.

When I look back at what has inspired me the most in recent years, the common thread that binds my most memorable experiences is the concept of wandering. My work on my new album with Flora (holy holy vine) helped me realize how important wandering is. I love wandering physically and mentally. I have always loved visiting markets in foreign cities because they are a wanderer's Mecca. The same goes for the music Flora and I recently recorded in a rural farmhouse in Maryland. In a small dimly lit room situated between a small river in a cornfield, our minds were able to wander fully and create such intricate music.

While I am most excited about living in Denmark, my three-day stay in Iceland is this first step, and I approach my time there with great interest. An island of 300,000 people where, according to what someone told me, there is the highest concentration of published writers, musicians, and artist relative to the total population. I suppose when the sun hardly rises in the winter, one must turn to creativity to make it through the winter. It's all very intriguing.

So. This will inevitably be some sort depository for my travel thoughts throughout the coming year. I'm not going to make promises of weekly updates, or of any kind of uniformity between my updates, as this is not a diary or journal. It's the Internet.

I finally uploaded some more photos. I'm getting there. I'll be all caught up by the time I leave.


PA165918
Photos from October 2008 can be found here.


PB155989
Photos from November 2008 can be found here.


PC286387
Photos from December and January (Berlin, Paris) can be found here.


P1286574
Rather ridiculous photos from February 2009 can be found here.


I'm excited. I'll keep y'all looped.

No comments: