5.04.2008

Maryland Film Festival, etc.

So it's Sunday, which means it's laundry/homework/music rehearsal day. I'm in the library right now waiting for some fellow students to arrive so we can work on our project for German class. We have to memorize a skit about ordering in a restaurant. How fun!

Friday & Saturday: The Maryland Film Festival



This weekend was the 10th annual Maryland Film Festival, which took place at the Charles Theater, MICA, and the Univeristy of Baltimore downtown. The festival completely surpassed my expectations, and I had a great time.


Friday:




Friday night, Spencer and I went to see "John Water's Pick," Claude Chabrol's 1988 film: Une Affaire De Femmes. In the film, Isabelle Huppert plays an abortionist in Nazi-occupied France. The film was really amazing - a terrible tragedy.

John Waters was there, and he introduced the film in a twisted tone, joking about having an "abortion film festival" next year. What a character.

After the film, Spencer and I watched The Yellow Submarine projected outside, which is great. It reminded me how much I love the Beatles. Later on we went to the Metro Gallery and saw The Protomen - who played "rock n roll for the apocalypse."




John Waters



"Waking up Spencer" - A photographic sequence.


These are two archetypal Baltimore brands. The one on the left is from National Bohemian Beer, a.k.a. Natty Boh. The girl on the right is from Utz potato chips.


This woman was the subject of a documentary at the festival. She was singing ABBA hits to a MIDI track.


The Charles Theater, The Yellow Submarine poster.



The Charm City Scooter Rally was going on across the street. John Waters went to hang out with them after the movie.


There was a fire down the street. Five fire trucks!



The Protomen.

Saturday:

Saturday I woke up at 10 AM, video chatted with Anne, which was so nice, and then went back to sleep until 5 PM. Later on, Ben, Spencer, and I went back to the film festival to see I Think We're Alone Now - a documentary about two obsessive fans (stalkers) of the 80's pop star, Tiffany.



The documentary is about two people, one who has Asberger and the other who is a a hermaphrodite, and their obsession with Tiffany. They follow the two on a journey that leads up to a Tiffany concert in Las Vegas, which they both attend. They end up staying in a hotel room together and compete over who is a bigger fan. It was pretty disturbing. There was a Q&A with the director after.


The two main characters of I Think We're Alone Now


Spencer and Ben on the bus.

Sunday:

Today I woke up at 12:30, and talked to Anne for a while. At 1:30 I went to brunch and then caught up with Jonathan and Greg (from our quasi-band, "Antler") for a rehearsal with the dance group we are doing a performance with this Friday/Saturday. Jonathan is a professor at St. John's College in Annapolis - a "great books" school.


Jonathan and his amazing machine.


Jonathan's pedals.


My violin. Greg.


Greg's beautifully battered cello.

PROMO SHOTS:



Jonathan, Greg, and I.

Should be a busy week this week. I think I'm going to start packing my stuff soon.

No comments: